Sign in to follow this  
Crowfall

German

Hi @Kraahk and @Koerpermilch, Thank you again for your feedback. I intended to reply to Kraahk's post last week but between the craziness of launch preparation and some unexpected forum breakages, I wasn't able to. Sorry for the delay. A few notes about our process below: First, we do read, collect, and share the posts that you make here, and we greatly appreciate them. Localization on an MMO with a small team is an enormous undertaking. There are thousands and thousands of strings, aggressive schedules, and in many cases unique game design mechanics that are challenging for outside vendors to translate correctly the first time around. There are typically 3-5 weeks of lead time required for each batch of strings we send over as we change existing strings or add new ones between milestones, and during that time, we constantly trade messages with the vendor's teams clarifying the meanings of certain terms in context. During that time we also immediately fall behind, because Design has to continue working on the game (adding and changing strings before the current batch is even translated and integrated). That means even at launch, there are going to be some strings missing or untranslated. The alternative would be that we basically tell Design to stop adding/updating game data for several weeks, which I think you'd agree is not currently feasible. This is generally what causes the "missing" translations. Sometimes, there are also technical blips where changes to string files are not recognized— so the English version changes but the translator is never aware that they need to update the field in other languages— or other times, we encounter issues where strings are simply too long to fit in a field (a common problem in German), or where an input error from either side leads to broken strings which need to be reviewed and repaired individually. (Or, my favorite, someone on our side accidentally forgets to set a field up to be localized, so it never gets picked up in the export in the first place!) Each time we uncover a problem like this, we try to iron it out and prevent it from happening in the future... But it all takes time. My point here is this: localization is always going to be a bit behind and a bit wrong, but should improve more and more (and be wrong less and less) as development continues. Your feedback does make that happen faster, even if it doesn't always feel like that's the case. Second, I'd like to acknowledge that I think your critiques of our translations, particularly in the lobby, seem fair (as a non-German speaker, I have to take your word for it, and I do). I fully expect some of the "deeper" strings— like less common recipes or major discipline lore descriptions— to be wrong and to be corrected gradually over time, getting better with each LQA/consistency pass. However, we did an LQA pass a few months back that should have caught the most obvious issues, and the lobby buttons are the first thing you see in the game; keeping GEWÖLBE rather than changing it to TRESOR is particularly troubling, as is Starter Worlds, the first thing we want new users to click on, being translated incorrectly... This is not acceptable. Even things like crafting stations being mistranslated can be a very serious issue in a game that is already hard to figure out. I am going to relay your feedback directly to our vendor and see how many meaningful changes we can make in either a hotfix or the first post-launch patch. I'm also going to have them review the previous feedback posts (again) to make sure those suggestions were taken seriously. As always, thank you for your time and thank you for your patience. We do not want to be "one of those companies" and we will put in the time and effort to get our localized game clients to an acceptable standard. Expect improvements soon. Max

Zum Beitrag